The FitSM Foundation Training is co-located with the EGI Conference 2019 (6-8 May).
IT Service Management is a discipline that helps provide services with a focus on customer needs and in a professional manner. It is widely used in the commercial and public sectors to manage IT services of all types, but current solutions are very heavyweight with high barriers to entry.
FitSM is an open, lightweight standard for professionally managing services. It brings order and traceability to a complex area and provides simple, practical support in getting started with ITSM. FitSM training and certification provide crucial help in delivering services and improving their management. It provides a common conceptual and process model, sets out straightforward and realistic requirements and links them to supporting materials.
FitSM is the reference framework being used in both EOSC-hub and EOSCpilot projects, among other research infrastructures as well. Through FitSM, the EOSC-hub project aims at conducting effective IT service management in a federated environment and achieving a baseline level of ITSM that can act in support of ‘management interoperability’ in federated environments where disparate organisations must cooperate to manage services.
In addition, participants have an opportunity to receive a formal certification backed by certification authority ICO-Cert for anyone successfully passing the exam (20 multiple choice questions, 13 required to pass). Both the costs of the training and the exam is covered and offered by the EOSC-hub project for free.
The training is co-located with the EGI Conference 2019 taking place on Thursday 9 May 2019, ensuring no overlap with the main programme.
This is one-day Foundation level course provides an agnostic introduction to the basic IT service management concepts and terms, outlines the purpose and structure of FitSM standards and their relationship to other standards, and details the formal requirements defined within it.
- This course is supported by the EOSC-hub project and has been made available for anyone free of charge, including the €80 exam/certification fee charged by certification authority ICO-Cert. Typical training courses are ~€400.
- Registration required
- 8 hours (plus 30-minute exam)
- All individuals involved in the provisioning of (federated) IT services
- Candidates who wish to progress to the advanced level of the qualification and certification scheme
- Basic IT service management concepts and terms (based on FitSM-0)
- Purpose and structure of FitSM standards and their relationship to other standards
- Full process framework underlying FitSM
- Requirements defined in FitSM-1
- 30 minutes, at the end of the training
- Closed book, i.e. no aids are allowed
- 20 multiple choice questions (four possible answers for each question, one correct answer per question)
- At least 65% correct answers (13 of 20) are required to pass the examination
- Exam scores
- Certificates for those passing the exam with unique certificate license number
*Communication of results, and availability for download through personal client area, provided by the certification authority ICO-Cert