TRANSITS-I courses, developed by GÉANT, are predominantly aimed at new or potential computer security incident response team (CSIRT) personnel but also system administrators delivering services within EGI, EUDAT and EOSC who wish to gain a better understanding in the aspects of security related to incident response. These courses cover basic incident handling and response techniques, operational practices, organisational and legal issues. Trainees get a unique opportunity to mix with their peers and discuss security issues in a secure and trusted environment, while being tutored by leading members of the European CSIRT community.
TRANSITS-I courses are open to individuals currently working for a CSIRT or network security related organisation, and to those with bonafide interest in establishing a CSIRT.
The following modules are covered:
- Organisation - how CSIRTs fit within their organisations and includes planning the team, defining its constituency, determining which services to offer, staffing, communicating with external parties, funding, and obtaining management authority;
- Technical - how intruders attack systems and their motivations, how network protocols can be abused, vulnerabilities of operating systems and services, denial-of-service attacks, hiding traces, information-gathering techniques, and includes several practical exercises;
- Operational - the incident handling process from initial reports, through triage, investigation, resolution, closure, to post-analysis, and includes practical exercises and a survey of useful tools;
- Legal - covers areas of European legislation likely to affect CSIRTs in their work that operatives should be familiar with, including data protection, computer misuse, network monitoring, collection of evidence, and working with law enforcement agencies.
Other topics such as PGP keys and relevant RFCs are also covered during the course.
TRANSITS-I course fees are:
- €999 for non-EGI Federation Members
- €849 for EGI Federation Members
*These fees include two lunches, coffee breaks, and course materials.
Registration via Eventbrite at: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/transits-i-training-amsterdam-netherlands-24-25-sept-2019-registration-65945124643?ref=estw
Applicants to TRANSITS-I courses will be requested to provide a brief professional introduction of themselves via the registration process.
Course participants are typically experienced system, network or IT administrators, although interested persons from other backgrounds are welcome. They are expected to have an awareness of the security issues involved in connecting computers to the Internet and must be committed to using their skills to improve the security of computers and networks. Familiarity with internet protocols, addresses and port numbers is assumed.