- Interest in HPC federation and simplifying access to individual researchers to the SCALAC HPC systems. A possible approach could be similar how EGI offers access to compute resources through the EGI Notebooks service with a pre-defined quota, EduGAIN (via Check-in) and a lightweigth, manual eligibility vetting (to prevent misuse of resources).
- The Way how EGI federates HPC systems is described in https://zenodo.org/record/6968509#.Yv9NZHYzaBI (EGI HPC integration handbook). Maybe it does not detail the Notebooks layer on top of HPC, but this is something that EGI can help with separately.
- Implementing an HPC federation broadly speaking would require two areas of work:
- 1. Setup of an integrated access management layer. Something similar to the https://www.egi.eu/egi-ace-open-call/ which serves as a 'shopwindow' for users to access EGI resources. It requires a user community support team who receives & evaluates the access requests, maps them to appropriate HPC sites, supports the users getting access and making use.
- 2. A technical federation with
- Single Sign-on (similar to EGI Check-in: https://www.egi.eu/service/check-in/)
- Integrated helpdesk, accounting, availability-reliability monitoring. (EGI Internal services: https://www.egi.eu/services/federation/
- The FitSM IT Service Management methodology can help RedClara/SCALAC define their Service Portfolio, Order Management, etc.
- EGI will give a foundation FitSM course at the EGI Conference in June in Poznan.
- RedClara/SCALAC can order a FitSM 'in-house' training from EGI: https://www.egi.eu/service/fitsm-training/#pricing (either f2f or zoom)
- Support for OpenStack:
- EGI service documentations are at https://docs.egi.eu/.
- The section that explains how to federate OpenStack sites is https://docs.egi.eu/providers/cloud-compute/. (EGI does not provide documetation on how to setup an OpenStack site)
- Upcoming events:
- EGI Conference, June 19-23, Poznan, Poland. Call for contribution will open soon.
- CARLA conference, Sept 18-22, Cartagena de Indias, Columbia: http://www.ccarla.org/
- Possible contributions from EGI:
- FitSM training (f2f)
- Tutorial: Reproducible open science with Notebooks and Binder. Example from the EGI22 conference: https://indico.egi.eu/event/5882/sessions/4883/#20220923
- Introduction to EGI. Example from the EGI22 conference: https://indico.egi.eu/event/5882/sessions/4863/#20220920
- RedClara to discuss internally which technical solutions would be needed from EGI
- RedClara to assess Possible contribution from EGI to CARLA
- EGI to inform RedClara when the Call for Contribution of EGI'23 is opened
There are minutes attached to this event.