Long tail of science: tools and services
- Gergely Sipos (EGI.eu)
Dr Gergely Sipos (EGI.eu)
Processes are well established for several years in EGI to allocate resources for user communities. However individual researchers and small research teams sometimes struggle to access grid and cloud compute and storage resources from the network of NGIs to implement ‘big data applications’. Recognising the need for simpler and more harmonised access for individual researchers and small...
Giuseppe La Rocca (INFN Catania)
This EGI Pilot for the Long Tail of Science  aims to design and prototype a new e-Infrastructure platform in EGI to simplify access to Grid and Cloud Computing services for the Long-Tail of Science (LToS), ie. those researchers and small research teams who work with large data, but have limited or no expertise in distributed systems. The project will establish a set of services integrated...
Fernando Aguilar (CSIC) , Luis Cabellos (CSIC)
Supercomputers are good candidates for opportunistic use, as a non-negligible fraction of the computing time may stay unused while waiting for a large number of cores to be available for a new parallel job to be executed. In practice this results in a typical occupancy below 90%, leaving yet an interesting 10% of computing time that could be used by short jobs using few cores. Users...
Romier Romier (CNRS)
The research landscape in France is very scattered. There are a lot of units that depend on multiple research organisms or universities. The computing offer is also scattered and France Grilles is one of the many stakeholders that work at local, regional, disciplinary or national levels. « France Grilles aims at building and operating a multidisciplinary national Distributed Computing...
Dr Ionut Traian Vasile (IFIN-HH)
An overview is presented on the implementation of the computing environment for new research communities served by the Romanian Grid Infrastructure. These include the researchers involved in the Extreme Light Infrastructure – Nuclear Physics (ELI-NP) project, in computational biology and in the physics of condensed matter and nanomaterials. The new infrastructure provides access to HTC and...
Jan Bot (SARA)
Scientists from all disciplines turn to ICT to speed up their research. Helping these, often novice, users through a centralised support model does not scale very well. It is therefore important to engage local research support offices at the scientific institutes to help scientists reach and use the local, national and international e-infrastructure resources. Through the Support4research...